Thursday, June 7, 2012

Loading shotgun shells...

I have been neglecting my reloading lately, with all the yard work and other things going on. I decided a couple of days ago that I was going to sort all of my hulls and knock out all of the primers.

As it turns out, I had plastic (Walmart) bags full of hulls in the garage and my pooch decided to give them a little squirt. What a mess. Some of them had started to corrode and they all stank to high heaven. I sorted out the ones that were getting eaten up. The others I threw in the deep sink with a little dish soap and gave them a good wash. I was worried that they wouldn't dry and would damage my powder.

My Bride suggested throwing them in a laundry bag and putting them in the dryer on a no heat setting, just to get airflow over and around them.

It seems to have worked. I knocked the primers out of about 500 20ga. and 700 12 ga. over the last couple of days.

I think I have about 400 12ga reprimed and about 200 of those loaded up.

I'm still loading the lighter loads for my Little One. I'm using about 17.8 grns of GreenDot Powder and 7/8 ounce of shot with a CCI primer. My Older One shot some of them a couple of weeks ago. It was her first time with the 12ga. She said there was no noticable recoil. The weight of the gun was a little much for her. She shot two rounds of trap with it and that was about all she could do.

The Little One will try them out this weekend.

Does anyone have any experience with Verona shotguns? There is one advertised on Midwest Gun Trader for like $225 bucks. I looked up the specs and it is only about 6.5 pounds. I've heard of them, but never seen one in person. There are lots of decent reviews online and not much negative. A part or two that needs replaced but that was about it.

I bought some Cheddite primers. I think I'm going to try those in a little different combination. Still 7/8 ounce of shot but a little more powder, about 18.8 grns. I want to see if that has enough juice to eject from a semi-auto gun.

No comments:

Post a Comment