Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Beating back the darkness...

Prepping and survival type stuff is important to me, it's also a passion of my friend Semper Fi, 0321. We have been talking back and forth about different types of gear and one of the things that came up was lamps and lanterns.

In a power outage a battery powered flashlight or lantern is only going to last so long, what do you do after that? My plan is to go old school. Semper Fi, 0321 restores old lamps and lanterns for use in just such a situation. There are all kinds of options out there, different sizes, shapes, even fuel options.

I have a modern version of the standard Coleman lantern that will run off of white gas or unleaded. I also have a couple of old kerosene lanterns, I think they are the type used by railroaders way back. We also have some old oil lamps.

The oil lamps are almost a last resort for me. Candles are dead last. I'm not a big fan of the soot and they don't seem to put out near the light of a kerosene lantern. He didn't say it exactly, but I think Semper Fi, 0321 thinks I need to change the trimming of my wicks for less soot! Haha.

As preppers, these types of things need to be on our radar. There is more to it than some canned food and tactical gear. Light can lift the spirits and it's a whole lot easier to accomplish things when you can see.

Here are some links that might help you on your way to beating back the darkness:

Dietz Lanterns

Coleman

Vermont Lanterns

Oil Lamp Parts

Camping Lanterns

You might check any resale shops, flea markets, Goodwill, etc. in your area. Even garage sales turn up an old lamp sometimes. ebay has listing for a few too. I would steer clear of the antique shope unless you have a lot of extra cash. They tend to put a lot more value on them than you will.

Also, check out Youtube for videos on repairing various parts and pieces on lanterns and lamps.

No comments:

Post a Comment