Tuesday, May 29, 2012

'Uncomfortable' with Calling Fallen Soldiers 'Heroes'

Over the weekend, some dickhead on msnbc, that nobody has ever heard of said this...

I think it's interesting because I think it is very difficult to talk about the war dead and the fallen without invoking valor, without invoking the words "heroes." Why do I feel so [uncomfortable] about the word "hero"? I feel comfortable -- uncomfortable -- about the word because it seems to me that it is so rhetorically proximate to justifications for more war. Um, and, I don't want to obviously desecrate or disrespect memory of anyone that's fallen, and obviously there are individual circumstances in which there is genuine, tremendous heroism: hail of gunfire, rescuing fellow soldiers and things like that. But it seems to me that we marshal this word in a way that is problematic. But maybe I'm wrong about that.

It's real easy for some stupid prick that has never even thought about sacrificing everything for the freedoms we enjoy in this Country to say something so stupid. Look, if you don't have the balls to defend this Country yourself, at least have the courtesy to show respect to those that do, especially those that have fallen in the effort. 

When I VOLUNTEERED for the Marine Corps at 17 years old, I knew the possible ramifications of that decision. I knew that at some point I may be asked to defend this Country with my life. I was willing to accept that, I still am, for the sake of freedom and what this Country represents around the world. The Men and Women who are currently serving our Country are all Heroes, every one of them. They chose this life for you and our way of life.

For some generic assclown on one of the lamest cable "news" channels to make remarks of this nature is just dumb. But then, maybe he was counting on the fact that their viewership is almost nothing to save him.

He has since apologized, but it was a sorry apology at best. You know, if you don't say stupid shit to begin with, you don't have to apologize...

No comments:

Post a Comment